Monday, September 10, 2012

My New Martha Stewart Craft Cabinet {A Studio Tour}

Pin It
Happy Monday, friends!  Last week was pretty uneventful due to the fact that I had a nasty cold, which I am still trying to kick.  I'm feeling about 85% better and have another crazy week ahead, I will make up the Birthday/Shopiversary Celebration... we'll have a Belated Celebration, how does that sound?

Anyway, early last week, before this cold knocked me on my butt, my Mother-in-Law came into town to fit my little chicks for their flower girl dresses, which she is making for an upcoming family wedding.  With her, she brought a super awesome Martha Stewart Three-Drawer Flat File Craft Cabinet that she found at a Home Depot near her in GA.  She had previously purchased an identical cabinet and the coordinating hutch on clearance at another store and when she found a second one, she called to ask if I wanted her to pick it up for my sewing room... Of course I wanted it!  PLUS, this one was on clearance, too!! Seriously, at 50% off, who wouldn't buy it?!

Anywho, the cabinet sat in my living room until Saturday evening, mostly because I didn't have the energy to even think about helping my husband haul it up the stairs.  When we finally got around to moving it, it was quite a sight... I'll tell you that much.  With the drawers out of the cabinet we ended up flipping it end over end, up the stairs.  Hubby had to remove the door from my sewing room so that we could shimmy the cabinet in.  The good news is: 1- I didn't break hubby's hand when I smooshed it between the cabinet and the wall in the stairway, and  2- the cabinet fit through the door! Hooray!

{Welcome to my Studio}

There is my Martha Stewart Cabinet with my sewing machine on it.  It's insane how much I can store in the drawers, two of which have dividers.  I can fit so much in there that it eliminated the need for the wire shelf in the right of the photo... though, I'm sure I'll find another use for it.  Out of the shot, to the left, is my large wire shelf that holds the bolts of fabric and interfacings.

I love my folding cutting table because it really saves space and I can easily prop up one end for cutting orders, etc, then fold it right back down!


In the closet I have a dresser which holds embroidery blanks and office supplies, along with my wireless printer; I usually have the closet door open with my shoe divider-turned-supply-storage hanging on the inside.  The wire shelf behind my bolts of laminated cotton is from my girls' closet makeover which I have yet to post... Note to self: post the Girls' room re-do!


This is my little shipping center/office,  I keep everything I need to package and ship orders, as well as my folders for expenses, receipts, invoices, etc.  I also have a bin of to-sew/ in-progress projects.  Directly above it is my inspiration cork board wall.  This sits directly to the right of the closet.

Finally, a closer look at my new cabinet, I have scraps and extra embroidery stabilizer in these bins underneath, there is actually enough room behind these bins for another row, if I need them!  I'm considering this tractor seat stool, in green or white, to sit on:

Source: walmart.com via Melissa on Pinterest

My studio has evolved quite a bit as my little business has grown, here is the first Studio Tour I posted a little over a year ago.  It has had slight changes in the past year, I moved out the dresser, added a small writing desk, removed that and replaced with my new Martha Stewart Craft Cabinet.  I think this arrangement will stick for the long-term.  I am loving the light, the flow, and the space in here!

Do you have a favorite piece of furniture?  Do you have any tips on how to make a small room "work" larger?

XxOo~ Melissa

*NOTE: I am in no way affiliated with Home Depot or Martha Stewart Living, I just really love this piece of furniture and was happy to have found it for such a great deal at a Home Depot store!

4 comments:

  1. Love the room update! The green and white are awesome, very cheery. The shipping station is also really cool. I don't have a room, just an Ikea table, some tubs & a tall plastic set of drawers like the set in front of your window. But it works! :)

    I'd love to see the inside of the drawers to your Martha Stewart cabinet. That was very cool of your MIL to get it for you!

    Do you still sew at your cutting table? Just wondering since sitting facing the machine where it is now seems like it wouldn't work (no place to put your legs). I am so nosy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl! I was thinking about taking pictures of the drawers, you are a mind reader! I've added it to my "To Do" list. So, actually, I have been standing and sewing at my craft table this past week... But, once I get the stool, I will put my pedal on the lower shelf and sit at the table, we'll see how that works out with not being able to put my legs under the table... I'll keep you posted. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I love your room, it is attractive but looks very efficient. I was wondering where you got your folding table, it looks bigger than the ones at Joann's, I'm enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that large wire shelf, Its a gorgeous piece!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know your thoughts, this chick LOVES hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...