Monday, April 23, 2012

Weekend-Wrap Up & I Want Your Sewing Questions

Pin It
This past weekend was another good one, though it rained all day yesterday and got a little chilly... I'll survive, I guess.


I have another custom order I'll share later this week as well as finally sharing about the Sewing Expo I went to weeks ago, and will be attending again in June, in Raleigh, NC.


Today, though I want your feedback.... have you seen my Guide to Fabric?


Well, I need to wrap that up... I have one post left where I'll tell you about some fabrics I enjoy working with, other than quilting cotton, but I also want to use it as a Q & A... So here's what I'd like from you:


What tips & tricks do you want to know to help you on your sewing journey?


Any questions about bag making you'd like answered?


How about sewing in general... need some tips?


Ask away in the comments, I'll take your questions and include them in my final Guide to Fabric post.  Sometimes finding the answers really is as simple as asking a question!




Happy Monday!


XxOo~ Melissa

1 comment:

  1. Yay. As you know, I'm a pretty novice sewer. I can do a lot with a straight line! ;)

    I'd like to know what you consider some essential sewing skills - on a machine & by hand - for making bags & garments. Maybe they'd seem obvious to you, like "using a zipper foot" but they're not obvious to me. I've been getting more & more interested in garment sewing as well as bag sewing. I'm a fan of figuring things out by trial & error and making things work no matter what tools or skills I have. But I know I could be more efficient, that my garments could be more sturdy or well-made, if I learn some more basic skills and techniques.


    Another thing I'm trying to wrap my head around is using lots of fabric for one item. The things I tend to make for around-the-house and in my shop are small & I really enjoy buying small pieces of fabric to extend my budget. The other day I was practicing a simple pleated tote - using up some extra fabric I don't want to use in my shop, and getting bag-sewing practice - and after cutting out my pieces, realized I'd used up soooooo much more fabric than I normally use in a single item. Obviously patterns differ & require different amounts, but do you have a general sense of how much yardage you use for something like a small/medium/large sized bag? I'm referring to what would be a main fabric, not anything for inner liners or accents. Maybe the answer is that it varies too much from bag to bag to really know, but any thoughts you can share would be appreciated - in a comment or post!

    Also I'd love to learn more about knits as this is the fabric I'm hoping to use more for garment sewing. I have a strange frame/size and am hoping to invest in some good knit fabric to make cute work tops for myself. Something that won't fade easily and also won't wrinkle easily. I'm assuming I'll need to get some sort of poly blend, and intend to just go to the fabric store & use my hands & eyes to find the right stuff, but if you have any thoughts about sewing with knits (like the ball-point needle tip you gave me a while back), I'd appreciate them!

    I told you I will give you enough content for a year of posts!! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know your thoughts, this chick LOVES hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...